Friday, July 22, 2011

Manchurian Cauliflower

This is the first time I cooked Cauliflower in three and a half years. My husband isn't a big fan of veggies, and his father and grandmother don't touch Cauliflower because, well, it gives you gas! So I never bothered cooking it.

The other day I was really missing my mom, and I had a sudden craving for her delicious Manchurian Cauliflower. My dad was coming over for dinner and I decided, what the heck, I'm going to make it, and if nobody else wants to eat it, so be it! Lo and behold, everybody at the table ate it, and it was gone within minutes.

Cauliflower is high in fiber and Vitamin C, and is known to have compounds that inhibit cancer cell growth.


Ingredients:

1 head cauliflower
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 green chilies, sliced
2 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 packet Shaan Chicken BBQ mix
2 Tbsp garlic paste
1 Tbsp ginger paste
oil, enough to fill a deep frying pan or deep fryer

For sauce at the end:
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp garlic and chili sauce
4 cloves garlic, thinly chopped



1. Snap or cut cauliflower into florets.




2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and slowly pour over cauliflower in a strainer.

3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan. I used my Cuisinart deep fryer.

4. In a large bowl, mix together corn starch, eggs, vinegar, Shaan mix, and garlic and ginger paste.

5. Add the cauliflower into the mixture. Make sure all surfaces are covered.

6. Fry the cauliflower on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Then turn the heat to high and fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Fry the cauliflower in batches, you do not want to crowd the frying pan or deep fryer. Set cauliflower on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.



7. In another pot, heat 1/4 cup oil. Add green bell pepper, green chilies, soy sauce, and garlic chili sauce. Saute for 3-4 minutes.

8. Add in the cauliflower and and green onions.

9. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander.





No comments:

Post a Comment